Car maintenance is necessary to avoid problems that could cause inconvenience and higher costs when neglected. That said, you need to take note of the most common car parts that you need to check and replace every now and then.
- Battery. Replacing your car battery is on top of the list because it is a necessary purchase for your car maintenance and at the same time, it is one of the expensive parts that would need replacing. It may not be of the same price as a Subaru head gasket, but it sure is an expense that you need to prepare for. When your battery is worn out, your car might need a jumpstart regardless of where you are. To avoid inconvenience in the middle of the road, battery change should be scheduled every four to five years regardless of mileage. If you are staying in a hot climate, you need to replace it more often – at least every three years.
- Exterior Lights. Exterior lights include taillights, turn signals, and brake lights. They are the parts that commonly need replacement because of frequent use. If you do not replace worn-out exterior lights, they can cause accidents on the road. Grant your exterior lights a life span of five to seven years, then replace them as part of maintenance.
- Sparkplugs. When you let sparkplugs get worn out, you are risking the difficulty to start your vehicle, rough idling, and misfiring, slow acceleration, or surging of the engine. It is an inexpensive part so replacing them is just an issue of responsibility. You can even replace them on your own.
- Brake Rotors. Overheating is the risk you are taking when you don’t replace the brake rotors in time. Also, inefficient rotors are expected due to friction from the brake pads and calipers. Another danger of non-replacement of rotors is the usual cause of major accidents: brake failure. Listen well if your rotors are squealing, grinding, or growling during brakes. If they occur, have your brake rotors replaced.
- Windshield. Your car’s windshield is your daily protection from fine dirt and debris. They can cause stress cracks that eventually could shatter the glass. Regularly cleaning of intact windshields can lessen the possibility of cracks and an expensive replacement of a shattered windshield. Address more serious damages and prevent stress cracks from spreading. You can also consider using consistent temperature until you can properly replace a cracked windshield.
- Door Handles and Locks. Door handles and locks belong in the list of commonly used car parts, and they need to be replaced as well. Repeated manual entry can cause the failure of door locks and compromise your security and the security of your car and all your valuables inside it. Its inside mechanism, the lock cylinder, could result in stuck keys, doors you can’t unlock, and keys that would go into the locks but won’t turn.
There are other car parts that you should consider checking before planning a car maintenance schedule. You can also check the tire pressure monitoring system, headlight components, remote keyless entry, and fuses. This can help you plan your expenses for car maintenance, leaving no excuse for letting your car suffer from the consequences of the lack of proper care.